Go Back   BBE BowlingBallExchange > Misc Bowling Forums > Ball Drilling & Dynamics
Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Drill/layout questions
Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 AM
All Star Bowling & Trophy

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 40 reviews
iTrader Rating: (40)
Submit Trade Feedback
Aaron's USBC Achievements PageID: 8670-29338
Aaron's eBay Home Page Aaron's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?
Drill/layout questions

Hey, first post asking assistance here so lemme know if more info is needed.

Just got my buzzbomb/r in tonight, 15 lb 3 3/4oz TW an 3-4 pin.

First, i read in another post on here something about too much weight in the thumbhole after a drill, so anyhting I should watch out for or tell my proshop?

I have always left it entirely up to proshop to recommend and drill my ball (and ended up w/ a stacked layout 97% of the time)

Im getting more serious about my equip and bowling.
I average 204 in a competitive league, fresh house shot, 40'. Were the only bowlers on our set after fresh conditioning, so the pattern holds up fairly well.
Im a tweener. I have medium/high revs and medium speed (16-17mph)

I want to move left and play a little deeper, maintaining a nice sharp backend and creating a sharpy entry angle.

It came with a layout sheet but isnt entirely clear on which setup will give me the reaction im looking for.

TIA

Re: Drill/layout questions
Old 02-25-2009, 02:35 AM

BBE Authorized Retailer

BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

What do you mean by stacked? Stacked can be a lot of things.

I don't think the Buzzbomb/r will allow you to play that deep on that kind of pattern unless the back ends are super screaming. Its just not that strong of a pearl IMO. I believe that is the only piece that Lane 1 has not put out, is a real power pearl.

Are you strictly a Lane 1 person or just looking for the best equipment to fit your game?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback
RRay's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

The BB/R is very versitile in my opinion and will work well for what you want to do, provided you match up the drill to your style.

I know alot of people like the stacked drill, but I prefer label. Look into a label drill with pin just above/right of ring finger. With pin above you'll get some length with a sharper backend.

I have mine drilled label, pin next to ring, which is a tad smoother on the backend than a label with pin above/right of ring. I average 16.5 mph with around 400 rev rate. My favorite line is over 10 at arrows to 3-5 at breakpoint. I can move left and shoot over 15 down to 5-10 at breakpoint. Just to see how much the BB/R had in it, I have moved way left, threw it over the 20 out to 5-10 at breakpoint and never had an issue with it coming back. And I have mine at 2000 grit abralone polished with the sauce. You can always adjust the surface to fit your needs.

The BB/R is a stronger pearl than people give it credit for. But don't fall in love with wanting to move to deep. Especially if there isn't a need for it. I like to have my equipment set up so I don't need to move much more than 3 boards left/right or a step forward/backwards on the approach. If i find the need to move more left than that, which usually means quite dry conditions, I break out the trusted dry lane ball the Chainsaw.

Chainsaw, BB/R and AO, with a Crystal thrown in for spares, and you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps some.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 AM

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

thanks both. Ill look into the layout you suggested. I am not loyal to a particular company, ive just heard a lot of people really liked the buzzbomb/r and i just opened up a space in my bag for another, and got a good deal ($115 shipped) on the lane 1 so figured id give it a shot. Stacked leverage im told, which from what little I know of my layouts now, for example, 3 3/8 x 3 3/8.
The sheet provided shows a label drill as having the pin below and to the right of the ring finger, and stacked is as RRay said, above and to the right.

Also, some people ive seen have had issues the ball after a drilling, anyhting to look out for when I take it in a little while to the proshop...

Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback
RRay's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Knowing your PAP will help the driller when laying out whatever drill you decide on. Also, correct span and pitches helps give you a nice release. You may want to have them checked if you are having release issues.
Also make sure you are using a good driller. You may want to talk to a few different ones to see what their opinions are. That will help you in deciding if they know their stuff and are good drillers.
Your driller may very well be good. It's hard for any driller to do more than standard drills if the customer comes in without any helpful information. You will find it entirely different talking to them about different drills and what might work best for you, if you go with a little knowledge of things yourself.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:14 PM

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

on my way now, im bringing my other equip and will talk it over with him. I havent gone through him yet, but he seems knowledgeable. Ill have him watch me throw a few with ym current set up and go from there. Thanks again guys!

Old 02-26-2009, 12:18 PM

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

After hearing what I wanted from the ball and having him watch me throw some, the proshop recommended the pin above/between my middle and ring. This ball filled the spot perfectly I was looking for, clean in the front and middle, retained a ton energy and drove the pocket when it hit the backend. My cell pearl would burn up on me. So w/ the void filled, I shot slightly above average, but all games clean and a decent 655 series, whereas I had been great first, average second, TERRIBLE third when the lanes broke down.

THanks again for the suggestions I brought them to the shop and he further helped me understand what the different layouts would accomplish and such.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoGrip212 View Post
THanks again for the suggestions I brought them to the shop and he further helped me understand what the different layouts would accomplish and such.
Sounds like a good pro shop to take that time with you. I bet he enjoyed talking with someone who actually wanted to learn.

..Victory Is An Addiction

Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM

F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

He is a young guy too and really knows his stuff. He recently took the shop over and has won my loyalty over some other shops around here. For anyone in southeast michigan, visit Dan McLalin at Premier Bowlers Pro Shop inside Oak Lanes...prices are reasonable and you get your money's worth and then some!!