Go Back   BBE BowlingBallExchange > Certified Ball Reviews > Lane#1 Ball Reviews
Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Lane#1 Chain-Saw
Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 2 reviews
iTrader Rating: (2)
Submit Trade Feedback
RevZiLLa's USBC Achievements PageID: 2357-5558
RevZiLLa's eBay Home Page RevZiLLa's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?
Lane#1 Chain-Saw

RG and Differential specifications for all Lane#1 bowling balls:
http://lane1bowling.com/tech/differential.html

BBE Members, please post your reviews below.
* NOTE - In order to ensure quality, ball reviews are checked by staff before they are shown in the thread below. Staff may ask you to make your reveiw more substantive or less inflammatory

Suggested ball review template
http://www.bowlingballexchange.com/s...ad.php?t=17493

Re: Lane#1 Chain-Saw
Old 11-16-2008, 02:12 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Mini-Review

I have a Chainsaw and so does my wife. I have also let a few people toss the Chainsaw and observed reaction on different lines and with different amounts of hand. The Chainsaw glides through the heads easily, revs a little in the mids, and makes a smooth, controllable move to the pocket with enough power to recover from wide shots. The move when you are on target is nice and smooth, so the recovery when missing out wide was quite a surprise.

Until now, the RotoGrip SonicX Pearl (remade now as the Neptune) was my favorite dry lanes ball. It goes long easily, and then is all back end....sometimes so angular that it is uncontrollable. The Chainsaw is SO much smoother!

Richie worked on this ball for over 2 years, and I have to say that this one is a real masterpiece. You won't find this reaction anywhere else!

..Victory Is An Addiction

Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 AM
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 10 reviews
iTrader Rating: (10)
Submit Trade Feedback

BALL SPECS
Pin Length 2 3/4
Starting Top Weight ?
Ball Weight 14lb

DRILL PATTERN: 1:30 label
Pin to PAP

CG to PAP
X Hole: nope
mb location

BOWLER STYLE: tweener
Rev Rate

Ball Speed 15.5
PAP/Track

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

http://www.bowlingballexchange.com/l...atid=4&id=2997

SURFACE PREPARATION

Grit: OOB
Type (Matte, Polish, Sanded)

LANE CONDITION
Length: 42 ft (supposedly)

Volume: hahahaha
Type top hat
BALL REACTION
great length. very clean through the mids. solid arc, but no snap at the end, which is NICE!!!!
COMMENTS
Likes: skid/hook cover lives up to its name. this ball goes through the dry without burning off energy. i was able to throw down the 8 board and have it move to the pocket. i ended up moving to left gutter and throwing over 15. there was enough in the ball to hook back and crush the pocket. color is awesome.

dislikes: none

Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 AM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

BALL SPECS
Pin Length - 3.5
Starting Top Weight - 3
Ball Weight - 15

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP - 5

CG to PAP - 5
X Hole (if needed) - n/a
MB Location - No marked MB, but the implied MB is next to the thumb

Drill is pin over ring and cg stacked straight down

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate - 350

Ball Speed - 17
PAP/Track - 5 1/4 by 3/8 up

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

SURFACE PREPARATION
Grit - OOB - about 2k wet sand and 1500 grit polish
Type (Matte, Polish, Sanded) - Polished but not like a marble

LANE CONDITION - THS
Length - 37

Volume - Light
Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport) - Wall

BALL REACTION
Length - Great length, it just floats through the heads and out to the mids
Back End - Just when you think it isn't going to move, it makes a pronounced move left, but not a violent jerk
Overall Hook - Not a ton of hook, perfect for a burned up THS
Midlane Read - The Chainsaw starts to roll in the mids, but it doesn't overreact, it waits to make its move farther down the lane
Breakpoint Shape - Moderately strong arc with hold, makes it easy to stay off the beak when everybody else is throwing their arm out

COMMENTS
Carry - The Chainsaw hits like a Buzzsaw for sure
Likes - ON A TOTALLY BURNED THS - Easy length, roll in the mids without overreaction to dry, a nice controlled move to the pocket. You don't have to throw it hard!
Dislikes - None - it is an awesome tool for dry lanes. Just to be clear, it is not for oily lanes.

You know that shot that was there at the beginning of the night? The one that you wish was still there, but the lanes are burned.... Well, its still there, IF you have the right ball in your hand. When I can't keep my Evolution right of the headpin, I can play the chainsaw straight up the boards! When everything else, even a Neptune, snaps out of control at the end of the pattern, the Chainsaw is smooth as butter! This is a reaction you won't find anywhere else. If you're a tournament player, you will need this for those long blocks and 2nd shifts.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM
Jet Bowling Staff

BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 22 reviews
iTrader Rating: (22)
Submit Trade Feedback

I too have a chainsaw 15# 2.5tw 3"pin. Drilled stacked, cg out 3/4" torward pap.
This ball rolls so smooth and has a TON of hitting power. The ball does come back from along ways out. With the hitting power. the mix is unreal and also produces alot of messangers. It does take getting used too, but once you do.....WOW! First 3 game set was 652, and 3rd game in league was 255. Know when to pull it out, and do not hesitate!! Trust this ball, it can be a monster.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Have you hugged your pet today?
BBE Tournament Champion
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
Ferocious's USBC Achievements PageID: 4999-5407

BALL SPECS
Pin Length -2.5 - 3"
Starting Top Weight - 2.5 oz
Ball Weight - 14 lb

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP - 4

CG to PAP - 4
X Hole (if needed) - n/a
MB Location - n/a

Pin above and slightly right of center of ring finger, cg stacked.

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate - 200 - 250?

Ball Speed - 15
PAP/Track - 4 3/4 x 1/4

PICTURE AND VIDEO LINKS

SURFACE PREPARATION

Grit - OOB
Type (Matte, Polish, Sanded) - polished

LANE CONDITION
Length - 35

Volume - very light outside, some oil middle
Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport) - wall

wet dry, but more emphasis on the dry

BALL REACTION
Length - very easy length, even on dry boards
Back End - side roll makes a strong hook from outside, but end over end makes very controlled arc.
Overall Hook - On dry lanes it doesn't roll out, therefore it responds to your hand position. I wouldn't use it on oil though.
Midlane Read - Gets through the mids easily, when other balls want to roll too early.
Breakpoint Shape - Again, it responds to the amount of side roll you give it beautifully.

COMMENTS
Carry - When the lanes are dry and your competitors are cursing the lanes, this ball makes thunderous strikes.
Likes - Now I have a ball to go to after my Sonic X pearl is causing me to play too far left or is rolling out. It gives me the advantage in the second or third game, where I used to have trouble with the dry.
Dislikes - If there is carry-down it may have trouble with corner pins, but I can always pick them up, or play a break point around the carry-down.

I may not look as hot as the girl on the advertisement while I'm bowling, that would just be distracting, but the Chain-Saw strikes are distracting enough to my competitors. This ball is exciting to me because I'm scoring well on conditions that were hopeless before.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:40 AM

USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
Tweener

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 4 reviews
iTrader Rating: (4)
Submit Trade Feedback
djbigsmooth's USBC Achievements PageID: 8091-17498
djbigsmooth's eBay Home Page djbigsmooth's facebook Page Buy me a Soda?

the new control monster from lane #1 bowling. the chainsaw is a specialized tool on the lanes when conditions are med-dry to drier. with 2" of flare max, you don't have to worry about this ball overreacting because of it's skid/hook coverstock. you cannot use this ball to cover a lot of boards on a fresh house shot, however when the track area burns up....LOOK OUT

WELL ENGINEERED BALL: the core of the chainsaw features a double end cut diamond weight block that is low flaring and easy revving. as with every high performance Lane #1 ball, the carry power is incredible, down and in, point the corner, ride the oil line next to the track area all result in powerful strikes.
"throw it in the dirt, and watch it work", do yourself a favor, put this ball in your bag, you'll be glad you did.

LANE #1 BABY.............ON THE GRIND

USBC CERTIFIED COACH

SMOOTH BOWLING CONCEPTS

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 PM
B O W L E R
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Site Administrator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

I just posted this in response to a question in a different thread and thought it would be a good follow-up to my earlier review of this fantastic ball.

------------------------------------------------

Most dry lanes balls give you length from a high RG and a pearl or hybrid shell (not including urethane). The trade-off for length is late roll and stored energy that can lead to wild reaction on the back end.

The only reactive for dry that I have seen overcome this is the original ChainSaw. This ball is not super high RG and it is not a pearl. It is a skid-snap reactive solid cover with a more mid RG. The power of this ball comes from the fact that it can get into a roll earlier than something like a Tornado, but will not start hooking in the mids because the Diff is very small...only .013 . The ChainSaw kind of recycles the little bit of oil it encounters by not flaring off the oil lines on the shell of the ball. The ball is already in a roll when it hits the end of the pattern and will start to bite and drive with great carry. If you miss right, the ball will use up the oil on the track earlier and make an earlier and smooth move. If you miss left, the hold is UNGODLY!

I don't try to over rev this ball, just stroke it out to the dry at 5 or 10 half way down the lane and let it do its thing.

I may not fully understand why this ball's reaction is so unique, but the above is what I see. This is why it is going to be in my bag for YEARS to come.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Stroker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
the pooh's USBC Achievements PageID: 1553-3589
the pooh's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

BALL SPECS
Pin Length -3
Starting Top Weight - 3.2
Ball Weight -14.3

DRILL PATTERN
Pin to PAP - 4 1/4, above ring finger

CG to PAP - 3 1/2
X Hole (if needed) - none
MB Location - Theoretical- just right of thumb
Drill Angle - 65*
VAL Angle - 40*

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate - 300

Ball Speed - 12-14
PAP/Track - 4 3/4> 3/8^ 13* tilt

SURFACE PREPARATION
Grit - Box - Polished

LANE CONDITION

Type (Wall, Xmas Tree, Sport) - THS, Fresh and old, Kegel # 6 ( Middle of the Road)

BALL REACTION
Length - Good
Back End - Strong Arc
Overall Hook - Medium
Midlane Read - Medium
Breakpoint Shape - hard Arc

COMMENTS
Carry - Good when used on right condition
Likes - Gets through heads easily, stong but controllable backend
Dislikes - Can be a little over/under in box finish

Other - This ball is deceptively strong for it's core numbers. It will get down the lane well in box surface and then make a very hard arc in the backend. On some conditions it can be slightly over/under. I fixed this by lightly scuffing with a grey Scotchbrite pad.The carry is very good as long as you don't swing it too much. The flare is only about 2". All in all, a great medium to dry lane ball! I am sorry it has been discontinued, hope lane #1 comes out with something equivalent.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
BBE Rules!

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback

Hi, gang,

I'm a new member here and I just love the Chainsaw. I'm getting mixed reports on whether the original Chainsaw is discontinued or not - I hope it isn't. I really want to get one more. I tried replacing it with the similarly rated Roto Grip Mars, but the backends on the Mars was much more aggressive. I really want to pick up another Chainsaw before I'm forced to try something like a Natural by Storm. I'm a lefty who runs a pretty straight ball and loves the length and smooth move to the pocket the Chainsaw gives me; it's the secret to my success the past couple of years.

Bob, NYC

Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Cranker

Trade Feedback: 3 reviews
iTrader Rating: (3)
Submit Trade Feedback

Not a staffer review! Just a regular guy.

BALL SPECS
15lb ~3" pin

DRILL PATTERN
60 x 35 x 3 3/4 (layed out, using cg markings) / 75 x 25 x 4 (effective, using postdrill cg w/ determinator)

Surface prep
OOB (4000 grit, polished)

BOWLER STYLE
Rev Rate - 275

Ball Speed - 17-18
PAP/Track - 17 tilt, ~60 rotation

Lane conditions
Wood lanes, ~40ft, low-medium oil volume

Bought this lightly used in the fall of '11 and was fully plugged and redrilled for me. I used this ball on a fresh light-medium oil shot in a non-sanctioned 16 week league. It's wood alley, 3 bowlers per team, about 1/3 the league uses plastic alley balls about 80% basically throw a straight ball.

I started this league with my HyRoad (60 x 5 x 30), but it played really jumpy and I didn't have a great look. Moved to a Burgandy Hammer and I was much more consistent getting to the pocket but my carry suffered. I played around with the Chainsaw a little bit and it didn't play great either, but I was usually bringing it out in the 3rd game when the track was well played already and there was carrydown from the plastic ballers. After 8 weeks my average was 196.

Week 8 I decided to give the Chainsaw a fair shot. Over the last 8 weeks of the season I averaged 214 to end the year at 205 (my spare game cost me about 6 pins per game).

The ball moderate midlane read, and a controlled move on the back. Very predictable motion all the way through. I can usually play the track area all 3 games, though I sometimes run into over/under in game 3. Ideally I should bring out a stronger ball and move a little deeper at that point (just picked up a QZ2 to do that next year). This is a great pickup for drier alley's, even on the fresh shot. I probably won't bring it with me to tournaments unless they are longer format or at a rural alley that is known to skimp on oil. It's a piece that won't get a whole lot of use in sanctioned play for me, but when the conditions are right, it's the best ball I have.
Lane #1 Buzzbomb Carnage, Storm Virtual Energy (300), Storm HyRoad (300), Seismic Aftermath Pearl, Motiv QZ2 blue, Lane #1 Chainsaw, TZone Spareball

Last edited by jaydee; 04-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
  Thanks from: