Wicked Hook and Devastating Carry!
Always on? 

Which ball has most hook?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
BBE Rules!

Trade Feedback: 0 reviews
iTrader Rating: (0)
Submit Trade Feedback
slackermike's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?
Which ball has most hook?

hi. I'm looking to get a new ball but not sure which ones I should be looking at. I haven't done much bowling since the mid to late 90's. Back then I mainly used an X-Calibur or a Danger Zone. Those two balls had a big hook on he backend of the lane and hit really hard. I don't know all the bowling terminology but when you put a lot of spin on them they could almost cut across the lane in a check mark pattern, going from right next to the gutter to the pocket almost instantly. I used to carry an average in the 170's with them. In the last couple weeks I've tried using them but they don't seem to hook like they used to. I had the guy at the pro shop sand them and that helped a little but still no where near the hook they use to have. Just curious which of the newer balls has that same big hook with all the new oils and all. Thanks for any help.

Re: Which ball has most hook?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:50 AM

USBC Silver Level Coach

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
Wink Re: Which ball has most hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackermike View Post
hi. I'm looking to get a new ball but not sure which ones I should be looking at. I haven't done much bowling since the mid to late 90's. Back then I mainly used an X-Calibur or a Danger Zone. Those two balls had a big hook on he backend of the lane and hit really hard. I don't know all the bowling terminology but when you put a lot of spin on them they could almost cut across the lane in a check mark pattern, going from right next to the gutter to the pocket almost instantly. I used to carry an average in the 170's with them. In the last couple weeks I've tried using them but they don't seem to hook like they used to. I had the guy at the pro shop sand them and that helped a little but still no where near the hook they use to have. Just curious which of the newer balls has that same big hook with all the new oils and all. Thanks for any help.
I'm definitely partial (Ya think!), but try the two newest MoRich balls, the FRENZY and the Craze. If you have a little more speed or a little less hand, the Craze is for you because it has the most total hook of the two. If you have a little more hand or slower ball speed the FRENZY is for you because of it's backend. Have your driller chose a pin up layout with a low balance hole if you want to maximize the ball reaction. Remember, I'm prejudiced, but give one of them a try.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Tweener

Submit Trade Feedback

virtual gravity from storm
or mutant cell from roto grip
both hook a ton
theres a huge list of stuff that hooks a ton out there but I would have to say these should be in the top 5,

Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 AM
BBE Ain't Got One YET Club
F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback

First off have you tried to straighten up slightly you may see your scores increase as it is much easier to play straighter?

However to answer your question I would suggest a Lane 1 Red death, Virtual gravity, or bounty hunter....

:

Quantum Fire
Liberator

Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Trade Feedback: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Tywithay Send a message via Yahoo to Tywithay
iTrader Rating: (13)
Submit Trade Feedback
Tywithay's facebook Page

It depends what you're actually looking for....the most hook, or the most effective hook. There are balls like the Elite Red Alien, that thing will start hooking while it's still in your hand. Then there's balls like the Mutant Cell, Morich Craze, Hammer Jigsaw, Lane #1 Red Death, Storm Virtual Gravity, and so on that are really strong balls, although each has their own different reaction.

I on the other hand put a lot of pepper in the balls ass and can make just about anything hook across the lane. Depends on your style and what kind of reaction you're looking for.

Have you tried deoiling your DZ? If you resurface it, and deoil it, you could probably restore a lot of that old reaction. Those old balls still work today just fine. I know a couple guys that still throw the DZ...one of the best balls ever in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 AM
F.O.S
PBA Hall of Famer

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 7 reviews
iTrader Rating: (7)
Submit Trade Feedback
REman's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

The biggest hooking ball I ever owned was the Morich Awesome Hook. I think it is similar to the Craze ( MO can correct me). I got mine NIB for cheap from a guy here, but it hooked so much on my house shot that I never used it, and since I have not played tourney patterns. There was one night this season that I would loved to have had it with me ( D'oh!).

I know BCJ is big on the Sideways from AMF and the Bounty Hunter. Some others would likely recommend the Red Death.
Hammer Arson Low Flare
Hammer Taboo Spare

John 17:3

Old 12-12-2009, 11:24 AM
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 50 reviews
iTrader Rating: (50)
Submit Trade Feedback
urbanj51's USBC Achievements PageID: 6215-791
urbanj51's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

If you want a strong rolling piece with lots of hook.........Lane 1 Red Death.

If you want an angular ball that goes long and snaps hard.........Lane 1 Massacre/Dynamo X2.

If you want a weaker ball that still has a kick on the back........Lane 1 Chainsaw.

SAW DOWN EVEN THE MIGHTIEST OF OPPONENTS!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM
BBE Rules!

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback

Ok Mike something no one seems to be looking at is oil pattern your looking to use the ball on. Alot of the stuff previously mentioned will be useless unless there is some serious surface prep (polish) done. If you want a large amount of ball motion for your average house shot you will really want to stay away from high end equipment as it will most likely burn up and roll out before getting to the pocket. De-Oiling the DZ is a great idea but if still stuck on a new ball, look at your preferred manufacturers mid level lines. Hammer has a Black Widow Nasty coming out that looks to fit the bill or they also have a Raw Burn, Storm has the Reign, and Roto has the Nomads. C300 offers a Bedlam or Power Swing and Ebonite has the LaneBreaker. 900 Global offers a Lunatic and Break Point, or Break Point Pearl for a little more length and angularity.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm Strokin' - Clerance C

Pro Bowler

Trade Feedback: 1 reviews
iTrader Rating: (1)
Submit Trade Feedback

im currently in love with my 930t from track. i tear up my ths cause i can play so deep that no1 can touch my line

Track Up-Rising
Track Kenetic

Track 930T
No Viva La Meheco :banghead:

Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Captain Buzzkill
US Military Service
USBC Bronze Level Coach
BBE Chat Moderator
BBE Authorized Retailer

F.O.S
BBE Super Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 17 reviews
iTrader Rating: (17)
Submit Trade Feedback
Overhand's USBC Achievements PageID: 300-15566

Hey, Slacker, I'm guessing that if you're used to the reaction of an X-Calibur or DZ, you don't want (or need) the ball with the most hook. The X-Cal is equivalent to the weakest reactive balls on the market right now.

I suggest you request a ball from your pro-shop that is 'medium' performance. After that, it's all about budget and appearance.

After you're back in the game for a bit, you'll be able to make a better determination of what you'd like; the equipment has changed that much.

And btw, never ask for the ball 'with the biggest hook'. Some balls cover more boards than other balls on certain lanes conditions or deliveries, while the same ball appears weak in other situations.

Ask questions like "With ball generates the most friction?" or "What ball tends to be very flippy?" Note that these two questions will give you different results (despite what manufacturers tell you.)

Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 PM
smooth rollin

Tweener

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 10 reviews
iTrader Rating: (10)
Submit Trade Feedback
Buy me a Soda?

also if you haven't bowled in a long time you will have to build your wrist back up i used to crank the hell out of the ball when i used to bowl then i quit for 8 years and when i started back the gravity shift was the newest ball out at the time and it hooks quite a bit and i couldn't get it to hit the pocket for nothing it took me a couple of months to get my swing back in perspective and as far as balls go mutant cell is prolly the strongest out right now but it would prolly be to strong a good smooth rolling ball which is still aggressive i would have to say try the hammer hot sauce check out some videos on it and other balls to help make your decision.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM

USBC Silver Level Coach

Cranker

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
Thumbs up Re: Which ball has most hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REman View Post
The biggest hooking ball I ever owned was the Morich Awesome Hook. I think it is similar to the Craze ( MO can correct me). I got mine NIB for cheap from a guy here, but it hooked so much on my house shot that I never used it, and since I have not played tourney patterns. There was one night this season that I would loved to have had it with me ( D'oh!).

I know BCJ is big on the Sideways from AMF and the Bounty Hunter. Some others would likely recommend the Red Death.
Thanks for the compliment on the Awesome Hook. The Craze definitely outhooks the Awesome Hook and it's all on the backend of the pattern. The Awesome Hook is earlier and less hook than the Craze. The Craze comes 2000 Siaair from the factory. Put 500 or 1000 on it to really see it hook.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:32 AM
RumDum

F.O.S
Pro Bowler

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 18 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to BeachcomberJones
iTrader Rating: (18)
Submit Trade Feedback

AMF clutch, out performs the 930t, seen it in person.........

Bounty hunter, most overall hook along with the mega friction.

Most visible skid/snap big show ball........AMF sideways!! so much fun!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 04:43 AM
US Military Service
USBC Level 1-2 Coach

F.O.S
BBE Forum Moderator
Senior BBE Contributor

Mood:
Trade Feedback: 8 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Phatdon
iTrader Rating: (8)
Submit Trade Feedback
Phatdon's USBC Achievements PageID: 1789-170
Phatdon's eBay Home Page Buy me a Soda?

Seems nobody is recommending Visionary. You want a ball that will come back before it hits the pins? AMB Centaur Solid. You want a ball for the THS, Ogre Solid, Blue/Green Centaur, Gladiator, Ogre Pearl, (not SS) or, the best ball they make, the Frankie May Gryphon. Any of them will deliver what you want... IF the driller knows what he's doing.
The Arsenal: Right hand
Lane #1
Dynamo (300), Supernova, G-Force (300), Pearl Cobalt, Solid Uranium (300), Enriched Uranium, Crystal Diamond.
Visionary
Pearl AMB Centaur(290, 299, 805), G-3 Gryphon.
Ebonite
V2 Clean, V3 TPS (299), Nitro R2, Nitro.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Tweener

Mood:
Submit Trade Feedback
hammerbowling316's eBay Home Page

get the hammer sauce lay it out with an off the sheet layout and you will be golden. the mutant cell,virtual gravity,virtual energy an siege are not as strong as the sauce but there not all that far away either. and if you lower the surface on it i hope you can speed it up.